Saturday 14 November 2015

City of light - Ohrid

Finally, it's my last blog post about Macedonia but the story isn't over, not yet. :) It's time to share one of my favourite macedonian travel memories, even if it seems to be almost impossible to choose only one, the best place. By the way, I really enjoy writing all these blog posts. It's a great opportunity to take a stroll down memory lane and recall some past events or take another look at photos. 


Getting back to what I was saying, first I'd like to show you some of my photo impressions of Lake Ohrid. All of them are unedited, I mean that it's the original version of the pictures, without any filter. For me, these photos convey the natural beauty of the city. It isn't insignificant to note that Ohrid and its Lake were accepted as Cultural and Natural World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.


It's a typical summer destionation and for this reason Ohird is quite a crowded place and wherever you go, you'll find a lot of tourists. However, this doesn't change the fact that it's an ideal place to have a rest. Of course, you can spend all days on doing nothing, laying on the beach or walking along the shore of the lake, but like everywhere, there are some lovely places to visit. 


Ohrid is most famous for its ancient churches and monasteries, handmade jewellery (especially pearls). Most of the monuments are located in the Old Town. Anyway, I'd like to mention only a small part of all the places you can visit there.

 
In the Old Bazaar the customers can buy different handmade items, peral jewellery,  counterfeit articles, as well as fresh fruits and vegetables. There are always a lot of people, and in general the bazaar is known for its vivid atmosphere. Walking between stalls, a foreigner can observe behaviour of local people. It's a perfect way to understand, to a certain extent, cultural differences.


Travelling through Macedonia, many times I came across some frescoes and icons, which are strictly related to the religion. They are everywhere, also on the market stalls, because the biggest religious community in the country is the Orthodox Church. 

And here you can see a part of a frescoe from the monastery of Saint Naum, which is located close to Ohrid. It was founded in the year 905.


The above picture shows my preferred ancient church in Ohrid. It's one of the prettiest place I've ever seen. The building is really small, but  it offers a phenomenal view of the lake and this is why it's my favorite one. The view and the location are just breathtaking!

As I said, it's only a small part of Ohrid. It would take too much time and especially I have to write more blog posts about it. However, I prefer not to focus on only one place, so next time I'll write about totally different place. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment