Monday 30 November 2015

Albania

There are always some things you should know before travelling to another country, like for example basic cultural differences. Of course, the Internet is an inexhaustible source of information and it seems that it's possible to find there an answer to almost every question. However, it can be misleading or even false in some cases.

Reading some blog posts of other travellers, I was looking for some travel memories related to Albania. Opinions were quite divided but in my eyes many of them show this country in a bad light. Danger, insecurity, theft are the most common words used to describe it. No wonder I was a little bit worried. Nevertheless we decided not to change our plans. One of the aim's of our stay in Albania was to confirm or shatter these stereotypes.
 
It was the last country we visited. After more than two weeks of sigthseeing and in general many other activities, we wanted to rest a bit and just doing nothing. For three days, lying on the beach (I couldn't stand it even one more day :) )  I could admire these views:



Our hosts (like everyone else during the whole trip) were so nice and helpful. A good news is that in the south Albania some people speak Italian because of their economic emigration. A lot of young people decide to leave their country and move for example to Italy or Germany in search of better life, with its main aim to support their families. I had an opportunity to see the world from another point of view once again. For me, there is no doubt that conversations with local people can tell you more about a determine country that all the information in mass media. In the same time, I'm aware that it isn't always possible. Sometimes somebody starts to talk to you in Albanian and at this point you just know that your conversation doesn't take place.


There was no electricity for several hours every day (of course when you least expect it :) ). It was connected with a lack of water. Generally speaking, there is a problem with the electrical wirings in Albania. Despite these small ''difficulties'' (it isn't an appropriate word) I felt really happy there. First of all, it was a great opportunity to enjoy my life. You may think it sounds banal, but it was a perfect time to  take all the things slow, there was no rush and I could focus only on pleasurable things and views. Sometimes, it's necessary to escape from reality and to look at your life and choices in a different way, from a different perspective. All the days spent in the Adriatic Sea were full of tranquility. The town where we were staying was really small so we were attracted the attention of local people and in some moments it leaded to funny situations.

On the way back home,  we visited the capital of Albania, so in my next post I'd like to write a few words about Tirana.

PS: In my experience, contrarty to some opinions of other peole, Albania is such a safe and congenial country and I strongly recommend you to visit it.

1 comment:

  1. I think that estimated level of danger depends on single experience of some people. It is said that crowded cities or countries are unsafe and also those with political problems inside. I admire your decisions to visit those sometimes unappreciated places. Many people like travelling to Spain, Italy or Portugal. For me there are many captivating European countries like Latvia, Estonia, Moldova and also Albania. So let's discover their beauty :)

    ReplyDelete